Old 23-09-2010, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default worms and lawns

On 09/22/2010 06:15 PM, Jake wrote:
[]
Interesting debate looms - everything I've read says that you should
lower the pH, not raise it, to discourage worms - aiming for a pH of
between 5 and 6. I've got my main lawn area down to that level and
rarely find a worm cast on it.

Hi Jake,

I've no idea what official wisdom is on the subject, but all of my earth
has a pH below 6 -- near 5 in spots -- and I've always got plenty of
worm cast on the lawn.

The cast is a little unsightly but I figure the lawn is being aerated.
It's voles (and moles of course) that do me in. The cat is getting
older, no longer spends as much time vole hunting, bless her.

-E