Old 23-09-2010, 04:50 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha[_4_] View Post

One of the best plants for covering a trellis is Holboellia, either
latifolia or coriacea. They're evergreen and have small but highly
scented flowers in spring. Clematis armandii is evergreen, winter
flowering and scented, Muehlenbeckia complexa is also evergreen and
quite vigorous though the flowers are very insignificant but the plant
can be grown to make lovely 'swags' along a trellis or rail. Rosa
banksiae lutescens is evergreen here, has charming clusters of scented
single yellow flowers and lovely coppery pink new foliage growth. That
will take some shade and is thornless. Some of these are a bit tender,
so what you plant depends on where you live and what kind of winters
you get, of course. We don't grow Clematis armandii ourselves but we
do grow all the others in our garden and all came through last winter,
a bit knocked about but totally recovered and romping away now.
The trouble with any climber is that they have developed the climbing habit to enable them to clamber out of the shade of the surrounding vegetation and into the light at the top. So I would expect almost any clematis or honeysuckle to try to do the same - in other words, you'd get some bare stems up the trellis and flowers on branches dangling over your neighbour's side in the sun.

The solution I think would be to go for something less vigorous, so you can demand that it flowers while still in the shade or else ;-)

You could go for a trainable shrub rather than a climber, in which case I'd be thinking about pyracantha (white flowers in spring, orange or red berries in autumn) or possible chaenomeles (japanese quince - pink or red flowers in spring, edible yellow fruits in autumn). Or a shrub rose that will tolerate shade - I have Rosa mundi flowering well on a north facing wall. If you want a clematis, try something like jouiana, which is a scrambler not a climber.

For what it's worth, we lost our C armandii last winter.