Old 23-09-2010, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Climbers for shade

On 2010-09-23 13:28:13 +0100, Emery Davis said:

On 09/23/2010 01:48 PM, Chris J Dixon wrote:
[]
I would like a selection of climbers to cover the trellis, and
give interest all year.

What clematis would be happy in a shady spot? How about an
evergreen honeysuckle? What else should I consider? Might I give
myself problems if I mix plants with different pruning
requirements?

[]
Hydrangea petiolaris is a good option in shade too.

-E

Getting it to go up a fence has always been a struggle I find. Maybe
it's because of whatever the wood's treated with?

That sounds like a good consideration to bare in mind. I've never tried
growing it up wood, just stone.

-E