Old 24-09-2010, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default Climbers for shade

On 2010-09-23 18:03:05 +0100, harry said:

On 23 Sep, 12:48, Chris J Dixon wrote:
The south west corner of my garden has 6 ft high fences which are
not mine (and one is a bit ramshackle), and there is also summer
shade from deciduous trees.

In this corner at present I have an elderly mock orange, which is
no longer flourishing, and a bamboo, of the non-invasive variety,
which is now a little too large for the location.

My plan for next spring is to remove these plants, together with
a self-seeded Hawthorn on the boundary, and install three 6 ft
trellis panels, on new posts a few inches inside my property, so
as to avoid any support issues. (1)

I would like a selection of climbers to cover the trellis, and
give interest all year.

What clematis would be happy in a shady spot? How about an
evergreen honeysuckle? What else should I consider? Might I give
myself problems if I mix plants with different pruning
requirements?

(1) Yes, I will take photos first, just to establish the history.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon *Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Ivy springs instantly to mind. Most climbing plants are happy in the
shade, they climb up into the sunshine & flower there. *They are
genetically progammed to do just this.
You can always tell shade loving plants, their leaves are a very dark
green, they need lots of chlorophyl to gather energy from low light
levels.
eg holly rhododenrums etc.

Ivy on a trellis?
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon- Hide quoted text -

Why not?

Because it's not a twiner but a clinger. *I think they look a bit
strange with branches looking for something to cling to and finding
nothing, whereas a twiner will fill the gaps in a trellis and then
climb round itself once it reaches the top.
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon- Hide quoted text -

I can tell you, it clings to wood real good. I had a hell of a job
ripping that lot off.