Old 24-09-2010, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Grass snakes.

"harry" wrote in message
On 22 Sep, 17:11, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

On 19 Sep, 23:38, harry wrote:

We have grass
snakes!http://www.flickr.com/photos/ara-chloroptera/?saved=1
Escaped from heated propagator and captured making a break for it
across our living room floor!
I will release them tomorrow when it's warmed up a bit.

Update .
All the eggs have hatched. We had twenty one in total.
Surprisingly there were no failed to hatch ones.
------------
What a great thing you've done, harry, after accidentally disturbing the
clutch.
Congratulations!

Tina

The local environment man from the council came today. I had
previously
spoken to him on the telephone. Left some leaflets about
constructing places for snakes to hibernate and lay eggs. I might
have a go at this. Quite a bit of work though.

I'd be interested to know about that, if it's within my physical
capabilities I'd like to give it a try. AFAIK, although I have two compost
heaps, there have never been any grass snakes or slow worms in them. I say
AFAIK as they are way down the the garden and if the snakes are not out and
about at the weekends I'm unlikely to see them.

Tina