Old 25-09-2010, 07:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default Climbers for shade

On 2010-09-24 08:42:25 +0100, harry said:
snipIvy on a trellis?
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon- Hide quoted text -

Why not?

Because it's not a twiner but a clinger. *I think they look a bit
strange with branches looking for something to cling to and finding
nothing, whereas a twiner will fill the gaps in a trellis and then
climb round itself once it reaches the top.
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon- Hide quoted text -

I can tell you, it clings to wood real good. I had a hell of a job
ripping that lot off.

I've always found it slow to get going on fencing but maybe that's
because of the wood used. *But we're also talking trellis and I think
it looks peculiar on trellis. *Mind you, all this is a matter of
personal taste. *That just happens to be mine. *We've also found it
fussy about growing on the wall of our house. *On one side of the front
door we have a variegated ivy which is so rampant that it is trying to
get in through the door and the window above. *It has to be cut back
severely each year. *On the other side of the door we have Paddy's
Pride which has taken a long time to get going but now, in one area is
heading skywards. *In a closely adjacent part of the wall, which is the
chimney breast, it's proving *very* reluctant to get going and so we
wonder if this is because the chimney breast has 150 years worth of
soot impregnated in it, even on the exterior!

--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon- Hide quoted text -

Yep. The problem is it prevents any maintenance to the wall. Often
hides the fact it needs any. I don't think it does any damage, may
even prevent frost damage. You need to keep it off the roof where it
can lift tiles/slates etc.
There are a variety of nasties in soot. But they wash away as time
goes by if the chimney is not in use.