Old 25-09-2010, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Alan is offline

Default Acer colours

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/...5092010039.jpg

This is an Acer in my garden. It is on a heavy clay soil. About 4 to 5 years
old.
It is sturdy and healthy, but has 3 distinct colours.
Red, Green and an intermediate colour, where the body of the leaf is green,
but has a red edge.

What is strange is that althogh the different colours are found mainly in
sections, there are branches where all 3 are present on the smaller branches
or twigs. The colours do not develop, (like start green and progress to red
through the intermediate phase) they stay the same colour they started out.

It is attactive enough, and healthy as far as I can tell. I do not want to
be pruning big lumps out of it, but would be interested as to opinions about
what is causing this.

Thanks
Alan