Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Richard J. Sexton

Default Alternative Lighting Question

In article nk.net,
X-Addict wrote:
Hi all.. I'm finally getting back into my plants after a long hiatus
and was wondering if there are other sources of light that I can use
that are :

1) Cheap
2) Not the Sun
3) Don't require 10Kw to run monthly

I've got a 50G (48"x13"x??high) skinny tank as my LFS calls it and the
standard light that came with the tank only has a 40W flourescent bulb
in it which I realize puts me in the 1w per gallon range. I've currently
put a second fixture from another tank on which has another 20W flo. in
it making a total of 60W.. I'd like to be in the 100W range as a
minimum with the proper light "color" to ensure minimum algea growth, etc.

The best bang for the buck IMO is 4' 30 wat fluoros. C50 if you
want to emulate sunlight, SPX65 if you want it a bit bluer
of wide spectrum gro lux if you can tolerate the pinkish hue,
or mix 1 grow lux with 3 c50 or spx65...

90% of all tubes made are 40W 4'; there's an economy of scale there.

While compact fluoros are great they'r real pricey. Of you could
get a cheap ( 100) mercury setup from a hardware store and rig it
up. They actually work quite well.

--
Richard Sexton | Mercedes Parts: http://parts.mbz.org