Old 25-09-2010, 10:47 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Don Phillipson Don Phillipson is offline

Default Help mowing a new lawn when its raining all the time.

On Sep 24, 12:01 pm, robind wrote:
Hi this is my first post here and I am a total novice. I planted a lawn
from seed at the end of August and now the grass is about 2-3inches high.
The problem is its been raining in buckets where I live and I want
to mow it sometime as I believe it will grow better if I cut it when it
reaches about 3-4 inches high.

This is normal for an established lawn -- not for a new one.
Newly seeded lawns are first mowed when the grass reaches
at least 3 inches.

My questions are,
1. If it carries on raining will it be ok just to leave it til next
Spring?
2. Should the grass be cut only if its dry?

wrote in message

Yes. Preferably the grass should be dry when mowed.

While this is generally true, Robind's grass is wet.

Compaction of the soil must be avoided, and this is the
main reason (in England) to defer cutting newly-seeded grass:
the seedbed needs months to pack down so as to resist
ruts and similar damage. A light hand mower will probably
do no damage, even cutting wet grass: you will just need to
clear the mower more often, and perhaps resharpen too.

In most parts of the UK it seems easy to get expert advice
about lawns in local conditions, e.g. when first to roll and
level a new lawn.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs