Old 25-09-2010, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
someone someone is offline

Default Peony seeds? Worth the effort?

"Janet" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

I've been given some peony seeds and having had a quick read about
them it looks like a lot of faffing about...
Should I just throw them in a corner of the garden?

I found that tree peony, P lutea germinate as easily as beans.. every
seed a winner. I just sowed them, fresh from the pod, in a pot, topped
with grit, and left them outside all winter in a coldframe. They
germinated the following spring and flowered 3 or 4 yrs later.

I'm with you. We went to a plant nursery in the autumn about 4 years ago
and the nice guy there gave us several seeds of tree peonies that were
growing round about. I sowed them, overwintered them in my greenhouse and
continued to care for them into the spring. I planted them out when they
were about 2 years old. They flower every year, a lovely blood-red colour.
And they survived last year's very cold winter. They can only get bigger
and better.

someone