Old 26-09-2010, 01:34 PM
ninak ninak is offline
Registered User

Default My Phyllostachys Aurea is in flower!

Hi, I am looking for a bit of help. I have had a tall Phyllostachys Aurea sitting in a large pot for the last year and a half. I am just about to plant it in the ground but noticed that it had flowered over the summer. I had not seen it in flower, but half the canes have seed on them. I was quite amazed! I am wondering if anyone else's Aurea is in flower? I have heard that plants when stressed can flower. Could this be what happened? It is quite a large specimen, about 15 foot high. I have been very attentive with watering and feeding.

I am now wondering if I should plant this bamboo at all as from what I have read, it will most likely die. It did send up new shoots this year, but they were not near the size of the canes from last year.

Any advice?