Old 26-09-2010, 01:54 PM posted to rec.gardens
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default How to preserve garden pumpkins until Halloween

On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 21:51:09 +1000, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given
wrote:

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
We have a bumper crop of 6 garden pumpkins this year. The vines have
just about died out, and we need to keep the pumpkins until Halloween
when we will carve them up. What is the best/easiest way to preserve
them for another month?

As others have mentioned they don't need refrigeration but they do need to
be cool without being a overly cold. What no-one has mentioned so far is
the importance of retaining a stub of stem from the vine. Most pumpkins
will begin to rot sooner rather than later at the point where stem joins the
pumpkin on the vine if the stemis removed.

The point about stem removal was indeed mentioned, in the recent
thread on gourds.