Old 26-09-2010, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default Grass problem-Help!

On 26 Sep, 08:37, "bm" wrote:
Recently I found that over night a patch in the centre of my lawn had been
'chewed up' Examining the mess I noticed that there were a number of white
larvae and also there was a weed that looked like grass but had a long stem
and spread by layering.
A neighbour had the same and said that it was caused by crows at dawn
digging for the larvae which he thought was the larvae of slugs or snails
By coincidence this patch coincided with the area where moles had previously
dug their tunnels
I have scraped as much of this weed as possible but I think some of the
roots remain
What weed killer should I use to kill this weed?
Blair

Slugs and snail don't have larvae, only insects. Probably crane fly
larvae. They eat the roots of grass. Birds will eat them given chance
and scrat about looking for more. More likely to be a headgehog or
other small mammal by the sound of the damage..
If you have a non-grass weed you can use a broadleave weedkiller.
There are lots of lawn weedkillers out there.