Old 26-09-2010, 05:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default How to preserve garden pumpkins until Halloween

On Sep 26, 6:51*am, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
"hr(bob) " wrote in message

We have a bumper crop of 6 garden pumpkins this year. *The vines have
just about died out, and we need to keep the pumpkins until Halloween
when we will carve them up. *What is the best/easiest way to preserve
them for another month?

As others have mentioned they don't need refrigeration but they do need to
be cool without being a overly cold. *What no-one has mentioned so far is
the importance of retaining a stub of stem from the vine. *Most pumpkins
will begin to rot sooner rather than later at the point where stem joins the
pumpkin on the vine if the stemis removed.

Thanx for the reply, I did know about leaving some of the stem on.
Learned many years ago not to lift by the stem.