Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM

Default Alternative Lighting Question

(Richard J. Sexton (At work)) wrote in message ...
In article nk.net,
X-Addict wrote:
Hi all.. I'm finally getting back into my plants after a long hiatus
and was wondering if there are other sources of light that I can use
that are :

1) Cheap
2) Not the Sun
3) Don't require 10Kw to run monthly

I suggest something like Richard.
3 to 4 T-8's or T-12 bulbs 32 to 40 watts each etc.
An electronic ballast, 1/4 popular wood box painted white on the
inside or foil/mylar etc.
Should run about 50$ or so.

You can do the shop light deal and remove the tar ballast and add the
electronic ballast(20-30$) and that's worth it and allows better bulb
life and usage etc. I've had very nice tanks with a nice aluminum
reflector and a modified shop light 2x40watts on a 55 gallon tank.
You can add another later if you want. I'd add CO2 before I'd use more
than a single 2x40 light though.

Regards,
Tom Barr