Old 26-09-2010, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle Mike Lyle is offline

Default Tea bags that rot down in compost

Rusty Hinge wrote:
kay wrote:

This will make Rusty cringe ...

Many years ago, the shop on my way to work stopped selling half
pints of milk. So I worked my way ins succession through various
solutions: 1) buy a pint every two days and try to keep it fresh
without a
fridge

Half a pint of milk a day? You make tea for the firm? A pint generally
lasts me a week to ten days.

I'd have expected Rusty to come up with an ingenious suggestion
involving the passive use of latent heat of vaporisation. Wouldn't a
bot. of milk last in most weathers if draped with a wet cloth? Or maybe
covered with an upside-down trerracotta pot standing in water (mimicking
a purpose-made thing one used to be able to buy*); or in an old-fangled
meat safe. For their holiday caravan my parents had a neat variation on
the "Koolgardie Safe": an "Osokool", which was a little metal cupboard
clad, it seemed, with plaster of Paris, with a shallow depression in the
top which one filled with water.

*On reflection, you might well find one in one of the junk shops now
self-styled "antique shops".

--
Mike.