Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Dave Millman

Default Pruning Techniques

Mike K wrote:

As a newbie with a 55 gal tank less than 1 week old, I have what it probably
a very basic question: what techniques do you guys use when it come time to
prune your tanks? Is it a constant battle of uprooting, pruning and
replanting? Especially with bunch plants? How do you do it with an extremely
heavily planted tank?

Here's my formula:

STEM PLANTS:
* When they hit the surface, remove cuttings strategically so
cuttings can be replanted, usually by cutting right where
a stem branches from another stem. Trim the original
plant back to 50% of original height.

* Sell/donate/replant cuttings. This can finance your hobby.

* After 2-4 repetitions of the above, the original plant
is usually a bit mishapen or no longer growing well.
Remove it and replace with cuttings.

SWORDS:
* I never used to trim swords, and they seemed to live
forever. Then, one sword got so dense and scraggly
that I trimmed 18 leaves from the outside. Over
the next few weeks, it responded with lots of new
leaves starting at the center. The new growth is
much more attractive than the older leaves which
were removed. Now I trim swords whenever
they start to look "scruffy."