Old 28-09-2010, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default Guess what I heard and saw?

On 28 Sep, 08:52, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Aries on MacBook" *wrote

Whilst watching TV earlier I heard a sort of crackling sound. *I looked to
where the sound was coming from and saw a huge spider running down a
window blind just to the left of me. *He then dropped onto the floor,
plonk! *He's in hiding now under our black leather sofa and recliners -
not sitting there any more *Just goes to show how large these
spiders are to make a noise like that!!

SHUDDER

I'm going out tomorrow to see what I can find for deterring spiders. May
have to send off for it tho as I'm not at all sure any of our local shops
will have such a thing.

How do these huge spiders get into the house anyway? *No windows are open
and they always seem to drop from the ceiling!

The first time I went to Australia I arrived on my own in Port Douglas
tropical Queensland at our apartment and as it was getting dark pulled the
curtains. The biggest spider I have ever seen outside of a zoo fell to the
floor and laid there upside down not moving. Must be dead I thought so I
went to pick it up and it jumped a foot in the air, I jumped 6ft, it was
tropical Australia after all. I had to get a large pudding basin to cover
it, catch it and put it outside.
Later found out it was a harmless Huntsman.
Later that same day, after my wife had arrived having travelled another
route, whilst shutting the front door behind me, a large bright green frog
landed on my chest with a thump and stuck there. Another welcome to the
tropics!

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

I bet you went to see the "jumping crocs" too!
I stayed there myself for a few days on the way from Cairns to Cape
York.
We were camping, so we got to see plenty of the wildlife.