Old 28-09-2010, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Guess what I heard and saw?

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 23:27:12 +0100, Aries on MacBook
wrote:

Whilst watching TV earlier I heard a sort of crackling sound. I looked
to where the sound was coming from and saw a huge spider running down a
window blind just to the left of me. He then dropped onto the floor,
plonk! He's in hiding now under our black leather sofa and recliners -
not sitting there any more Just goes to show how large these
spiders are to make a noise like that!!

SHUDDER

I'm going out tomorrow to see what I can find for deterring spiders.
May have to send off for it tho as I'm not at all sure any of our local
shops will have such a thing.

How do these huge spiders get into the house anyway? No windows are
open and they always seem to drop from the ceiling!

Picture this (some years ago)..... First night back from holiday.
Woken in middle of night by loud scream. Jump out of bed. There on the
bed is the biggest black house spider in creation. Hanging from
ceiling is something quivering in her nightie. No option but to
demonstrably kill spider. Then I was instructed to check everywhere to
make sure there wasn't another in the bedroom.

Moved bed. Strange, as I pulled the bed from the wall the headboard
sort of bent back and stayed against the wall. Ended up having to get
a Stanley knife to cut the mass of webs behind it. In middle of webs
was an even bigger black spider. Even scared me! Threw a shoe at it.
The blighter threw the shoe back! Meanwhile, there was an attack from
another direction with half a can of sets-like-concrete-strength hair
spray. That sort of did the trick - one solidified spider. Picked up
by a leg and dropped out of window. Dented the car on the drive below!

One thing I hate is finding spiders in wellies. I always make them
take them off outside the front door ;-)