Old 28-09-2010, 06:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill who putters Bill who putters is offline

Default container centerpiece

In article ,
Dan L wrote:

"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
mossie wrote:
'David Hare-Scott[_2_ Wrote:
;901454']mossie wrote:-
hi i have bought a large pot for front garden and would like some
advice as to a shrub i can put in same, needs to be evergreen for
interest had thought of japanese maple but i dont know if they are
evergreen any ideas welcome
thanks-

It is very hard to guess unless you tell us where you are, your
climate and
the aspect of the proposed site of the pot. BTW maples are
deciduous.

David

I am in edinburgh near the coast we dont get bad winters summers are
cool warm wet are any maples evergreen?

I don't know what the climate is in edinburgh and your description is
rather vague so I cannot give specific help.

Try the local garden club or nursery who will know more than somebody
a world away what will grow locally.

Also see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_maple

David

Hmmm...
Are you sure it's not "Chinese" instead of "japanese"?
Try google searching for "evergreen maple" instead of "maple evergreen"
big difference in the search engines. From searching there does seem to
be an animal, ok plant. Not sure about trees, but seems to have some
shrubs.

A plant in a warm climate might be an evergreen and that same plant will
not be an evergreen in a colder northern climate.

I did a google street view map of edinburgh, UK. Nice looking downtown
street, of north bridge and High street. I like the looks of those
double decker busses. Is that where your from?

I'd forget evergreen and look for "Full Moon Maple". in a container you
could train it as a large bonsai.

http://mendocinomaples.com/index.php?crn=180&rn=346&action=show_detail

Have Fun !

--