Old 28-09-2010, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance David Rance is offline

Default Grape vine ID

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010, Sacha wrote:

Could anyone ID this grapevine? I know it's not the best of images
but I can upload another in a few days if need be...thanks.

[IMG]http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j238/npilcs/Greenbank%20allotment
/Grapevine.jpg[/IMG]

It looks as though you're writing from Germany. This is a UK based
gardening group and the vines we are familiar with are not likely to
be those grown in Germany.

Not even 'Black Hamburg'? ;-)) I think that's the one that's growing
at Hampton Court - huge and amazing thing.

Well, I confess that I was thinking purely in terms of grapes for making
wine (which is what I've been doing today). But the OP gave us too few
details. Where was it growing? When was the photo taken, i.e. how ripe
are the grapes? So is it likely to be a black grape or a white one?

I have some Kerner vines but they don't ripen satisfactorily in England
as they're too late. I had some Müller-Thurgau once at the time that
they were popular in England in the '70s and '80s but had no success
with them. Although, of course, MT was developed in Switzerland from a
Riesling cross (which *is* German). MT changes its character according
to latitude. In the Mosel area it produces a light dry wine with a
Riesling character. In Austria it produces a heavy sweet wine. But in
England it generally produces a very thin wine with little character
which is why it has gone out of fashion here.

David

--
David Rance
writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France