Old 29-09-2010, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Guess what I heard and saw?

In message , writes
In article ,
Aries on MacBook wrote:
On 28/09/2010 23:15, Christina Websell wrote:
Mice don't worry me either, but I don't want one fossicking around in my
bedroom. Spiders, big ones, I do have a problem with those. I've told
myself they cannot hurt me, I know that but it doesn't work. They horrify
me for some reason.
Tina

they can bite tho - not poisonous but can cause an itchy spot or
allergic reaction. My father was bitten by one once so I do know that.

They are poisonous, but aren't dangerous to any animal above the
size of a large fly - we are, er, quite a bit larger. The itchy
spot is probably the response to the poison, which shows how minor
it is.

The main allergic reaction is to the hair of tarantulas and relatives,
but I don't know if any UK spiders shed hairs. Anyway, they cause
very, very few reactions so aren't a significant problem.

None of this applies in South America or Australia.

Not just South America and Australia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latrode...edecimguttatus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latrodectus_mactans

Regards,