Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Richard J. Sexton

Default newbie with plants

In article ,
Scott Lewis wrote:
Ben wrote:

do yourself a favor and go to wal mart or home depot and buy yourself a
sunshine bulb (not the exact name) the packaging is bright orange and the
bulb should say "chroma 50". That will be the bast improvement you can make
for the money. without good lighting co2 is absolutely useless. Next, and

It looks like the orange boxed sunshine bulbs have been repackaged. Sylvania
now has a new packaging lineup 5 or so bulbs in similar style but different
color packages. The sunshine bulbs seem to be the ones labeled as 'daylight'
and are marked (as all of them are, now) as a 5100k bulb.

Chroma 40 used to be available everywhere here. Now all I can
find is Philips Colortone 50 which is the same thing (slightly
better on paper actually). I don't remember the Osram/Sylvania
equivalent.

I used to use Chroma 75 (7500K) when they and C50 were unavaliable
from normal retail outlets and had to be purchased from a lighting
distributor; the extra blue in the C75 seemed to make red plants redder.

As for the CO2 without good lighting, my limited experience would disagree with
you. CO2 is a good addition at any light level. I've seen studies where
increased CO2 is only marginally less productive than increasing lighting. It
is when the two are combined that one can expect very large improvement in plant
growth.

Agreed.

--
Richard Sexton | Mercedes Parts: http://parts.mbz.org