Old 30-09-2010, 01:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dan L[_2_] Dan L[_2_] is offline

Default Courgettes...

"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Mathink wrote:
Anyone else grown courgettes?

You see, I think I planted far too many this year. Seriously hundreds
of them grew, and when we went away for a week we came back to find
courgettes the width of watermelons and the about 2 feet long. We
opted not to eat these monster cougettes as they didn't taste as good
as the smaller ones...

Next year I think we'll stick to about 5 or so plants rather than
20...

Don't worry, most of us have done this when we started. If they are
well grown 2 or 3 plants will do the average family. You must be
disciplined and cut them daily, searching underneath so that none
escape the knife. Aim to get them by the time they are 12cm (5in)
long. Also try recipes for the baby fruit and flowers as you can
afford to cut them at that stage. These are considered a delicacy and
are often sought after by cooks.

David

Yep, most of us. I am down to just one plant each year. First year I
planted ten.

--
Enjoy Life... Dan L (Garden in zone 5a Michigan)