Old 29-09-2010, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle Mike Lyle is offline

Default Guess what I heard and saw?

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Rusty Hinge" wrote...
Aries on MacBook wrote:
On 28/09/2010 08:52, Bob Hobden wrote:
The first time I went to Australia I arrived on my own in Port
Douglas tropical Queensland at our apartment and as it was getting
dark pulled the curtains. The biggest spider I have ever seen
outside of a zoo fell to the floor and laid there upside down not
moving. Must be dead I thought so I went to pick it up and it
jumped a foot in the air, I jumped 6ft, it was tropical Australia
after all. I had to get a large pudding basin to cover it, catch
it and put it outside. Later found out it was a harmless Huntsman.
Later that same day, after my wife had arrived having travelled
another route, whilst shutting the front door behind me, a large
bright green frog landed on my chest with a thump and stuck there.
Another welcome to the tropics!

NOT a very nice experience!

Now I would have welcomed both experiences.

The spider might have become a favoured guest...

Especially to the frog, I imagine.

I can assure you that you too would have had a fright, unless you
recognised the Huntsman immediately, and the large green frog landing
on ones chest in the dark an hour or so later and sticking there
wouldn't do your nerves much good either. :-)

Then on the same trip there was the Ozzy shouting "Don't step back"
at me as my head was 6inches from a "Funnel Web", and my cousin in
Adelaide saying "If you go in the garage don't put your hand on
anything unless you look well first, there are Red Backs in there"!

As kids we often used to form interested little circles crouching round
redbacks and such-like, poking them about with pieces of dry grass,
saying things like "That's a redback! It can kill yer!"

--
Mike.