Old 29-09-2010, 11:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle Mike Lyle is offline

Default my artichokes

Rusty Hinge wrote:
Gill Smith wrote:
are 8 feet

and rising

with a plethora of spikey marble-sized globes on top

deep joy

The globes are flower buds, and you have Jerusalem artichokes, not
globe ones...

When the stems die off, you dig the artichokes up.

... and make a not untasty soup, or boil them and serve with lots of
butter, and then discover why we call them "fartichokes".

(Globe artichokes are like a big thistle, Jerusalem are in the
sunflower family)

"Girasole" being the probable source of the misname "Jerusalem". Why
"artichoke", though, I don't know...Ah: the dictionary says they
"somewhat resemble the globe artichoke in flavour". I'll accept the
derivation, but deny the resemblance.

--
Mike.