Old 01-10-2010, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Moonraker Moonraker is offline

Default OT opening Kilner jars

On 01/10/2010 13:15, Don Gray wrote:
In
wrote:

I always have a problem opening Klner jars, the type with a glass lid.
Releasing the vacuum can be a PITA, the problem is one can easily chip
the lid or bottle rim. Has anyone found an easy fool proof way of
opening them?

I don't use Kilner jars but can appreciate your problem. Just a couple
of thoughts.
1. Lightly grease the rims before closing.
2. There is a plastic tool with a strap attached that you fit around
the lid. Tighten with the handle and pressure from your hand should
release the air pressure. I nearly bought one some time ago. for
opening new jars, for my grip is not as strong as it used to be.

Cheers
Don

I have one of those, the domestic equivalent of a strap wrench,
absolutely essential to limp wristed old man. I don't think et will fit
around the glass lid though, I do use it to loosen the plastic screw
cap. I think in order to equalise the pressure (I realise it is not a
vacuum, but that describes it best to most peeps) I think it would be
necessary to place them in an oven, as they were to be bottled.