Old 01-10-2010, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance David Rance is offline

Default Grape vine ID

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 Sacha wrote:

And he is mentioned by writers on English viticulture since. My
first book on the subject was written by Gillian Pearkes in 1969 and
mentions Edward Hyams.

And her brother is now our vicar. Strange coincidences, eh?

A small world, as they say. But he must be getting on in years, as
must she - if she is still alive.

I'd guess he's in his 60s and no, she's not still alive. I think she
died in 1993 and was born in about 1945, so she died young having
founded Yearlstone in 1976.

I didn't realise she was younger than me! It means that her book was
published when she was only 24 and she had apparently been growing vines
at that time at Dulverton for some years, as well as doing that survey
on existing English vineyards. Did she do the latter, perhaps, as part
of a university thesis?

David

http://rance.org.uk