Old 02-10-2010, 12:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default potatoes

A Plumber wrote:
I have grown red and white potatoes this year, cannot remember what variety,
but on the red ones, though they reached a good size
all the large ones, had something? eaten into them leaving deep holes,
however the whites were untouched, nice sized and very clean.
Could anyone advise on what had attacked the red potatoes but not the white
ones

Are they slug holes? I think most of my damage this year was by slugs.
(You sometimes find wood lice in the holes, but I think they just go in once
the damage is already there, they don't cause it - although I await being
corrected)
If you could remember the variety names, you'd probably find hte white one
is resistant to whatever it is, and the red isn't - it's not so much the
colour of the potato as the types of resistance bred into the specific
variety.