Old 02-10-2010, 11:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Fig Brown Turkey

Bloke Down The Pub wrote:
u...
"FiveMins" wrote in message

My fig plant is new this year, growing as a standard & I have been
pleased to see fruit on the tree. Unfortunately, something appears
to have been trying to steal the figs & in the process has broken
the stem & all the new growth is now on the floor, along with the
fruit. Have I lost the plant or is there something I can do to
retrieve it?

David is right, the stem will recover, but you could use the
branches or even branchlets from the broken bits to take cuttings. Figs
grow very easily from cuttings - they arent' fussy aobut soil
or anything that I've foudn - I just shove them in an old pot in
whatever sandy potting mix I have to hand and next spring there is
another plant.

Are fig trees invasive, like the ficus, would they be suitable for an
average home garden?

Mike

They are not invasive, unlike the ficus tribe that have the large leathery
leaves and round squishy fruits. In good conditions they grow quite big eg
6m high and 4m wide and you will have to net them unless you are in an area
that has no bats, or parrots or other predators. They are quite a handsome
plant as well as giving tasty fruit. The fruit makes excellent jam.

David