Old 04-10-2010, 08:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Prize vegetables and peat.

"Janet" wrote ((Snip))
It makes no sense to squander peat while at the same time we throw away
a far better and more sustainable resource, the countless tons of
biodegradeable waste which could be turned into fertile and water
retentive plant composts.

Composts which at the moment are worse than useless IME. How good for the
planet is me planting all my veg seeds, only a few weeks later to throw it
all away and start again with new seed and new compost. Zero germination or
very weak plants is all I got.
The expensive bag I bought looked more like mushroom compost after a short
while, clumps of fungus in the compost, it obviously hadn't be sterilised
which with such rubbish ingredients is a must. Which also means more
resources needed for that process.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden