Old 04-10-2010, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gordon H[_3_] Gordon H[_3_] is offline

Default Guess what I heard and saw?

In message , Christina Websell
writes

I love these sort of childhood gardening stories!
Actually my grandfather was usually very kind, I must have got on his nerves
that day with my continual "why?" and "what is that?" and "can I do that?"
when he was pricking out. I'm sure the interest I have in plants and
wildlife is down to him.
I had a much better relationship with him than his own children had,
apparently - they were all afraid of him I found out much later. Probably
because he had to work away during the 30's depression and never got to know
them properly.
My youngest uncle (born in 1939) tells me grandfather was fascinated by me
as I called him "Drandrad", insisted on him helping me with my "nite & tort"
(knife and fork) and showed him love.
He was not a demonstrative man having had quite a harsh Edwardian upbringing
as a gamekeeper,s son when the only function for his own father in the home
was to punish his children.
It's so sad.

Tina

My paternal grandfather was the manager of a mill when they were in
their heyday. He was a fierce man, with a waxed and pointed
moustache, and I just remember him as a tall, distant figure, though I
am told I played Ludo with my bedridden grandma.
Grandad used to booze away 2/3 of his salary, leaving his wife to raise
3 sons and 3 daughters (comfortably) on the rest.
The strict discipline passed down the paternal line, according to my
children, though becoming more relaxed (I hope)!

I seem to get on well with everyone else's grandchildren, some in their
20s, but mine are scattered in Australia and California, to my deep
regret.

Bit off topic now, but I'm steadily tidying the garden and pruning
shrubs when the weather allows.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply