Old 05-10-2010, 11:08 PM posted to rec.gardens
Chris[_14_] Chris[_14_] is offline

Default thinking about a coldframe

On Oct 5, 11:51*am, Ohioguy wrote:
* *I recently found 8 double paned roughly 32" by 34" windows that a
friend gave me about 10 years ago. *I always meant to build a cold
frame, but never got around to it.

* *We just recently moved to a new house, and I have a wonderful south
facing side of the house with no shade that gets a small heat island
even without being enclosed. *It is close enough to the property line
that I can't build a proper greenhouse, but I would be able to put in
something small like a cold frame.

* *I would like to do something with insulated walls that will let me
grow some greens in the Fall and early Spring. *I live in SW Ohio, USA.
(between zone 5 & zone 6) *First frost is usually in mid to late
October, and last frost is usually end of April to mid May.

* *Do any of you have experiences with cold frames that you feel would
save me some headaches? *Can you point me to some simple and heavy duty
plans that I might be able to use? *I think I'd like to make this my
fall project.

Crockett's Victory Garden (the first edition; I don't know if they
kept them in later ones) had some nice plans for a cold frame. You
might be able to adapt them to your existing supplies. We had one that
lasted for years, through some awful New York City winters.

Chris