Old 05-10-2010, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Why have potatoes replaced parsnips?

"Sacha" wrote ...
, "Bob Hobden" said:
"Chris" wrote
Why have potatoes replaced parsnips as a staple?
Parsnips seem to have all the advantages.
Maybe there are commercial factors?

Seeing as I find roast parsnip revolting whereas I love crispy roast
potatoes I find it totally understandable.

LOL! My daughter has to leave the kitchen when I'm preparing parsnips.
She loathes them so much that they have to be roasted separately from all
other meat or veg so as not to taint them!

Roasted it tastes like it's been marinated in perfume to me, absolutely
horrid.
Now in a casserole with all the other root veg and a few dried beans all
covering some beef with dumplings on the top, absolute heaven. :-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden