Old 06-10-2010, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Onions in storage problems.

Bob Hobden wrote:
Anyone else having a problem with their onions in store this year? I ask as
ours are going rotten at an alarming rate and we have never had that problem
before, ever. They are being stored as usual, in plastic mesh crates so the
air can circulate around them and they seemed as dry as usual before
storage.
The Stuttgarter Giants we grew have almost all had to be thrown away and the
Sturons are also suffering but nowhere near as badly. A lot of our red
onions have had mould growing on them as well as rotting internally.

Hmm, not noticed ours being any worse than normal, but that could be cos
last year was awful, so this may just be an improvement on that. I've had a
couple of mouldy ones, but no more than about 20-25% so far, and we always
use the dodgy looking ones first, so hopefully those left will be better.

Last year we got hit by white rot something terrible. :-(