Old 07-10-2010, 08:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Onions in storage problems.

"Pete" wrote ...
wrote
Bob Hobden wrote:
Anyone else having a problem with their onions in store this year? I ask
as
ours are going rotten at an alarming rate and we have never had that
problem
before, ever. They are being stored as usual, in plastic mesh crates so
the
air can circulate around them and they seemed as dry as usual before
storage.
The Stuttgarter Giants we grew have almost all had to be thrown away and
the
Sturons are also suffering but nowhere near as badly. A lot of our red
onions have had mould growing on them as well as rotting internally.

Hmm, not noticed ours being any worse than normal, but that could be cos
last year was awful, so this may just be an improvement on that. I've
had a
couple of mouldy ones, but no more than about 20-25% so far, and we
always
use the dodgy looking ones first, so hopefully those left will be better.

Last year we got hit by white rot something terrible. :-(

No problems here - I find the stringing or platting storage techniques
give the best results.
I would not consider plastic crates satisfactory for long term storage -
handy for transportation
and initial high temp drying only.

Our problem with stringing or simply hanging them all up is the weight
pulling on the roof, we use a lot of onions, grow a lot of onions, they are
not small, and they normally last almost all year. This year they certainly
wont last until Christmas (only 11 weeks!).
--
Regards
Bob Hobden