Old 07-10-2010, 04:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
phorbin phorbin is offline

Default Should I just give up on this pear?

In article , says...

Anyone have a good idea what chance a small pear tree like this would
have of healing such a large gap in the sapwood? If it was a side
branch, it wouldn't be an issue, but this is the main trunk. I think
that the missing 70% is a limiting factor in the tree's growth.

This is a vaguely remembered picture from an encyclopedia I owned as a
kid.

What I remember was a series of grafts bridging bark and cambium that
had been chewed away by rabbits.

I don't have the time to look it up but someone might be able to fill
this out.