Old 08-10-2010, 12:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ross McKay[_2_] Ross McKay[_2_] is offline

Default what would you do with soybeans?

On Thu, 7 Oct 2010 03:10:57 -0400, "DogDiesel" wrote:

I was gonna say soy beans give me serious gas. But I do eat miso paste and
make jap fish soup. I bought an old miso book about a year ago, I think it
was the book of miso. but decided buying it was way easier.

But you say make your own miso??Or tempah. Care to expand on that
statement.

Buying is always easier, and it gives you a reliable product. With miso,
the product is really good. IME, bought tempeh is a pale imitation of
freshly made tempeh, as it has lost its texture and flavour.

I made some miso / fermented bean pastes a few years ago (and need to
repeat the experience -- well worthwhile). I made some with soybeans,
some with chana dal (chickpeas), and some with fava beans. Still haven't
tried the chickpea one, but its time must be near now. The others were /
are great! Quite amazing what a simple pile of beans can turn into with
a little encouragement. I made some with "proper" miso starter (spore
from the mould Aspergillus oryzae), and some with a mixed starter that
the Chinese use to make rice wine (comes in a ball, has Aspergillus
oryzae as well as some other things). All good. See here for details, or
the Book of Miso (very good book).

http://www.geocities.co.jp/Foodpia/1751/miso.html
http://www.fuchu.or.jp/~kanemitu/misomaking.htm
http://www.mixph.com/2006/07/making-...-soybeans.html

Get the starter here (or get some balls of "wine yeast" from a Chinese
grocer):

http://www.gemcultures.com/soy_cultures.htm
http://www.tibbs-vision.com/sake/

I make tempeh when I feel like it, usually in summer when it's easier to
keep the temperature right (on a hot summer's day here, there is nothing
special to do!) See previous post for links on making tempeh and where
to get the tempeh starter.
--
Ross McKay, Toronto, NSW Australia
"Tuesday is Soylent Green day"