Old 07-10-2010, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Roger Tonkin Roger Tonkin is offline

Default Onions in storage problems.

In article , says...

Anyone else having a problem with their onions in store this year? I ask as
ours are going rotten at an alarming rate and we have never had that problem
before, ever. They are being stored as usual, in plastic mesh crates so the
air can circulate around them and they seemed as dry as usual before
storage.
The Stuttgarter Giants we grew have almost all had to be thrown away and the
Sturons are also suffering but nowhere near as badly. A lot of our red
onions have had mould growing on them as well as rotting internally.

Only just got round to storing mine properly, they been sitting on an
old sheet in the garage drying for the last several weeks!

Noticed that some look slightly brown round the root area, which is
unusual, will watch and see what happens.

I store them in old plastic (carrot i think) nets.

Roger T