Old 07-10-2010, 11:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
someone someone is offline

Default Onions in storage problems.

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Anyone else having a problem with their onions in store this year? I ask
as ours are going rotten at an alarming rate and we have never had that
problem before, ever. They are being stored as usual, in plastic mesh
crates so the air can circulate around them and they seemed as dry as
usual before storage.
The Stuttgarter Giants we grew have almost all had to be thrown away and
the Sturons are also suffering but nowhere near as badly. A lot of our red
onions have had mould growing on them as well as rotting internally.

We've had a lot of problems with our onions from the allotment. They seemed
to develop a white mould, and even when left to dry in the sun many of them
have been going rotten. I often have to cut out large bits to find a good
bit when I'm cooking.

Worse still, our leeks on the allotment have failed for the first time ever.
Most of them have got a sort of rot which makes them basically inedible. We
have harvested a few small ones, but the rest get a brown streak and then
rot. It's not just us, it's everybody on our allotments. Must be some
virus or something going round.

OTOH, the apples have been fantastic, we're making about 200 gallons of
cider in our local cider group, plus here at home I have 8 gallons of
different wines on the go - apple, grape, and elderberry.

What a year - and my loquat tree (planted from a seed) is flowering for the
second time ever.