Old 08-10-2010, 07:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Onions in storage problems.

"someone" wrote
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Anyone else having a problem with their onions in store this year? I ask

as ours are going rotten at an alarming rate and we have never had that
problem before, ever. They are being stored as usual, in plastic mesh
crates so the air can circulate around them and they seemed as dry as
usual before storage.
The Stuttgarter Giants we grew have almost all had to be thrown away and
the Sturons are also suffering but nowhere near as badly. A lot of our
red onions have had mould growing on them as well as rotting internally.

We've had a lot of problems with our onions from the allotment. They
seemed to develop a white mould, and even when left to dry in the sun many
of them have been going rotten. I often have to cut out large bits to
find a good bit when I'm cooking.

Worse still, our leeks on the allotment have failed for the first time
ever. Most of them have got a sort of rot which makes them basically
inedible. We have harvested a few small ones, but the rest get a brown
streak and then rot. It's not just us, it's everybody on our allotments.
Must be some virus or something going round.

OTOH, the apples have been fantastic, we're making about 200 gallons of
cider in our local cider group, plus here at home I have 8 gallons of
different wines on the go - apple, grape, and elderberry.

What a year - and my loquat tree (planted from a seed) is flowering for
the second time ever.

Sound like you have White Rot in your ground. In which case you will have it
for ever unless you use drastic measures. (Sterilise the soil)
We also have it but because we plant our onions 9 inches apart it tends to
be restricted to one or two in a row, it does not spread through the row.
The onions also grow bigger BTW. Might also be Downy Mildew so have a look
on Google and see.
Leeks, could be Leek Moth especially as all on the site are affected.
Important to pull up all unused plants and get rid of them as I understand
the moth overwinter on old leeks. They usually grow through an attack
though. I have known them also attacked by White Rot but they usually don't
suffer as much as onions but then again you usually plant them further
apart.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden