Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Suzy Jackson

Default Optimum lighting for 60"x18"x18" system?

Hi Max,

I just had a look at your web site, and deduce from that that you'll want to
keep Discus in the tank. If this is the case, then it's probably a good
idea not to overdo the lighting. With a 60" tank, the best tubes to use are
48" T-8 globes or else 24"(ish) 55W CF globes. You'll have a few inches
either end that aren't lit, but you won't be able to tell looking at the
tank.

I'd aim for something around 2 wats per gallon, rather than the 3-4 that
many people use. Indeed in my own planted discus tank, a 48" x 19" x 24"
(90G) I have 190W, in a mix of T-8 and CF.

So in your case 4x48" T-8s would be great. As for CRI and colour
temperature, it's mostly down to preference. Any good quality daylight
triple phosphor globe will work beautifully. I myself use a hodge-podge of
lamps; a 40W "Aqua glow" tube, a 10,000K Coralife Actinic, and a pair of
Osram 4300K 55W CF tubes. When that lot needs replacing, I'll get some bog
basic GE tri-phosphor daylight tubes to replace the T-8s, and hunt down
something similar to replace the CF lamps.

In any case, best of luck with your tank. With any luck you'll be convinced
(as I was) that Discus and plants are an ideal combination.

Regards,

Suzy

--
---