Old 08-10-2010, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden[_3_] Bob Hobden[_3_] is offline

Default Sterilising ground

"Martin Brown" wrote
Bob Hobden wrote:
Organic growers and those of a nervous disposition read no further. :-)
On of our allotment holders who has a number of allotments sterilises
his soil every few years with some powder which he incorporates into the
top layer of soil, waters well, covers with plastic sheeting and leaves
for a couple of weeks. He says the gas kills everything and has rid one
of his plots of Club Root and White Rot as well as killing any weed
seeds so they never build up. Sounds both a miracle and the work of the
Devil to me.
Anyone know what he is using?

From your description I would hazard a guess at Basamid or dazomet - but
it should be as granules rather than a powder. Not sure if it is licensed
for amateur use. I suspect that it is not...

http://www.hortweek.com/news/rss/Sea...iseases-weeds/

MSDS http://hazard.com/msds/mf/cards/file/0786.html

He has so many allotments he can rightfully class himself as a smallholder.
Indeed he is already allowed to abstract water from our local stream as the
area he has under cultivation is in sufficient.
Interesting though for those of us with White Rot and Club Root.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden