Old 08-10-2010, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Onions in storage problems.

On 8 Oct, 10:17, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:
Gopher wrote:
In message , Bob Hobden
writes

[...]
Leeks, could be Leek Moth especially as all on the site are affected.
Important to pull up all unused plants and get rid of them as I
understand the moth overwinter on old leeks. They usually grow
through an attack though. I have known them also attacked by White
Rot but they usually don't suffer as much as onions but then again
you usually plant them further apart.

I returned from a week's hols l2 weeks ago to find my leeks cut down
to ground level. No leaves or foliage left. Then I got a call from
the girl who had looked after our garden while we were absent. She
told me she felt awful but she had cut down the leeks but they had
been hit by Leek Moth. I had noticed a slight rusty tinge before we
left but didn't think too much of it. Anyway, the leeks are still
growing and doing so beautifully. It seems that the grubs hadn't got
right down inside so our crop seems assured - if slightly more
stunted than anticipated. However, we will probably lift them earlier
than normal and give the ground a thorough digging to expose any eggs
laid in the soil to the frost.

[...]

Would it be worth protecting leeks with fleece or Flowerdew's
jumble-sale net curtains?

--
Mike.- Hide quoted text -

2nd try at posting this, first posted 2 days ago but it was bounced.

Sounds very like Onion neck rot which used to be the scurge of British
Onion growers, and was why you seldom saw a british onion in the shops
much after Feb. after that it was almost all Spanish Onions,
With a lot of reserch and the development of new onion varieties,
changes in cultural methods and new chemicals it has almost
dissapeared from commercial onion growing in the UK.
Have a look at http://plant-disease.ippc.orst.edu/d...m?RecordID=753