Old 08-10-2010, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sterilising ground

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Organic growers and those of a nervous disposition read no further. :-)
On of our allotment holders who has a number of allotments sterilises his
soil every few years with some powder which he incorporates into the top
layer of soil, waters well, covers with plastic sheeting and leaves for a
couple of weeks. He says the gas kills everything and has rid one of his
plots of Club Root and White Rot as well as killing any weed seeds so they
never build up. Sounds both a miracle and the work of the Devil to me.
Anyone know what he is using?

No, but wouldn't it worry you a bit to eat crops from that ground
afterwards? It would me. If I want chemically contaminated veg I can get
it from the supermarket.
Tina