Old 09-10-2010, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Moonraker Moonraker is offline

Default Feeding the birds

On 08/10/2010 23:02, Bob Hobden wrote:

"Dave Hill" wrote
Jake wrote:
Shelagh wrote:

Hi, I have a birdtable that isn't attracting any birds

I have mixed seed in a small pot on the tabletop - would it be
better to
sprinkle the seed directly on the table?

Thanks for any advice!

~ S ~

Birds are funny creatures. Almost all through the year I have loads of
different birds feeding in the garden from a variety of sources. I
have a variety of seeds on a table, plus peanuts (which a local
woodpecker seems particularly interested in), nyger seed, sunflower
hearts and fat balls in hanging feeders (please don't put peanuts in
the open on a bird table, always in a peanut feeder, and don't buy any
old "bird" peanuts from some corner shop - make sure they're bird-safe
from a reputable brand). So variety matters if you want to attract a
range of birds.

I find the most popular feeders are those hanging amongst a thorny
pyracantha - the thorns don't faze the birds but do deter the local
cat population. My bird table used to be rarely visited as whilst it
was under a tree it was near a flower border in which the cats could
hide. It's now under a tree in the middle of a lawn area and is much
more popular. So location matters.

And cleanliness matters too.The hanging feeders empty quickly but I
always remove any uneaten stuff from the table on a weekly basis,
clean it and put new seed on it.

But the funny bit is that once every year, when the RSPB hold their
birdwatch weekend, I can sit for hours and hardly see anything with
feathers.

I'd get a few of those fat balls you can get from a variety of places,
they stay fresh for some time and will give the birds time to find
them.

Trouble is when I put out 4 new fat balls on Monday they were all gone
by Tuesday morning, not one bird did I see eating them, just one big fat
Squirrel. Which may also explain why my Bird Feeding metal tree was
pulled over on Wednesday.

After a break over the summer I recharged my bird feeders yesterday. No
birds yet, but a squirrel has had an unsuccessful go!