Old 10-10-2010, 03:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
phorbin phorbin is offline

Default Should I just give up on this pear?

In article , says...

What I remember was a series of grafts bridging bark and cambium that
had been chewed away by rabbits.

I actually had this thought, wishing there were some way to encourage
living tissue to cross the gap. My grandparents have a couple of
healthy adult pear trees, and I suppose that a small branch could serve
as a donor. My Father actually grafted another variety onto each of
them so that they would produce more fruit, so perhaps he would be
willing to try a graft. Can attempting to do a trunk graft in a
situation where the live portion is only about 30% of the way around
cause more harm than good?

*Do talk to someone who knows.*

I've a trick memory and remember something of everything I've read or
seen in books (but only in books). This dates back to when I was 7. I
trust my memory to give me enough information to begin research or to
ask the right questions ...and to perform the occasional party trick.

The picture is of a number of small, flexible sticks plugged at
intervals into the cambium below and above the gap. I don't recall the
description of the process.

They didn't show the shape of the ends in a way that connected them well
enough to the image I'm relating for my memory to bring up more than one
picture.