Old 10-10-2010, 05:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Evergreen hedge for a cold garden

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 08:08:07 +0000, Julian200
wrote:

Hi, I am looking for a hardy evergreen hedge, that will take
temperatures down to -20C and will not dieback or go brown. I would like
the hedge to form a windbreak and to provide winter shelter for birds.
The site for the hedge is south facing, but partially shaded by tall
deciduous trees, and the back of the hedge will be north facing and
fully shaded by the trees. The soil is stoney clay, the ideal height for
the hedge would be 15-20 ft, but it does not matter if it eventually got
taller, and it must not be poisonous to livestock. I know that Holly
grows well here, but I already have plenty of this and would like to try
something different, Any ideas?

Depending on space; Canadian hemlock (can be sheared/pruned) or if
you've the room Norway spruce (just keeps growing larger and taller).