Old 11-10-2010, 05:50 AM posted to rec.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default apples or oranges?

FarmI wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

Are you actually interested in growing fruit?

If I wrote 'Here chook, chook, chook!' would you understand what I
meant? :-))) I think there is some of that going on here.

Yes but one gives the benefit of the doubt.

:-)) I think you must be much less cynical than I am :-))

I doubt that. I am trying to get a silver star this week so I am being
nice to everybody.

Well being a cynic and having a good killfile go hand in hand. :-))

I've had a lovely week in the garden and can't remember a Spring that
has held such promise for a bumper summer. I've got herbs leaping
out of the ground in my new herb bed near the back door. My
passionfruit has a tiny sprout appearing above the graft even though
the whole top of it suffered from frost damage and I am eagerly
awaiting a burst of growth from it. My carrots are up and growing
strongly, my silver beet is producing as is the rhubarb, the lettuces
and a few other greens. The sodding cockatoos are taking the tops
off my broad beans but they need tip pruing anyway so I shouldn't
grumble. I've bought a heap of cow manure and pelleted poo and an in
the process of spreading it. Life in the garden is rosy and hectic.

I just pulled all my broad beans

They've finished? Mine haven't even started to form pods yet.

and the last of the peas are going for seed
saving.

Bloomin' eck! Your season is a long way ahed of mine.

After a slow start the pasture is looking great, 70mm of rain has
the clover jumping out of the ground. Mootilda just thundered by to get
to my daughter who appeared with the magic bucket.

How's she going? Has she turned out as well as you hoped? Watch out for
all that clover with Mootilda - you may need to get her a block so she can
cope with all that clover.

I now have a flock (yes a
flock) of black cormorants assaulting the dam so perhaps there are some
fish left. Will there be any tomorrow? We live in hope.

I've read that throwing old metal beds into dams is a good way of protecting
fish from cormoratns - apparently it gives the fish a place to hide.