Old 11-10-2010, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Would this composting idea give me problems?

On 11/10/2010 11:23, AL_n wrote:
I have a friend with a yard that has become very heavily overgrown with
brambles and ivy. I have this idea of clearing it for him within the next
couple of weeks. My idea is to shred the brambles and ivy, and then spread
the resulting chippings over my own back garden which has rather poor soil.
Due to the volume of material, it would probably give me a surface coating
2 or 3 " deep. I'm guessing that this would rot down over the course of the
winter and improve my soil.

My main question is: Is this likely to result in problems for me in the
form of brambles and ivy springing up all over my garden in the future?

Thank you,

Al

The ivy would likely appear all over the place. Some of the brambles may
survive too - I've propagated a cultivated variety of bramble by
layering it and I've seen wild brambles layer themselves too, so
presumably if the shredding is coarse some fragments of bramble may be
able to put down roots.

Personally I'd burn the lot and spread the ash over the garden.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.